The dog days of summer are upon us, and homeowners everywhere are looking for ways to stay cool and comfortable without breaking the bank. And while there are plenty of tips for beating the summer heat “out there,” like wearing an ice vest or sticking your bed sheets in the freezer at night before going to bed – brrr – we have somewhat more practical advice to offer you.
Come to think of it, a lot more practical advice:
- Turn off heat-producing lights and appliances when not in use.
- Avoid using the stove or oven on especially hot days. Grill, use a slow-cooker, or consider sandwiches and salads as a dinner alternative.
- Use a ceiling fan to help circulate cool air.
- Program your thermostat for a higher temperature when no one is home, and program it again to have things nice and cool upon your arrival.
- Turn your thermostat up by a degree or two.
- Drink plenty of water not only to keep you hydrated, but naturally cool your body down.
- Take a cool(er) shower.
- Make sure to have your air conditioning system inspected and tuned up annually to ensure that it’s operating at peak efficiency.
- Clean or replace your air conditioning filter once a month during the summer.
- Fix potential air leaks by caulking or sealing cracks and gaps around doors, windows, and electrical outlets.
- Save the clothes washing and drying for the evening hours.
- Wear light-weight breathable clothing made of natural fibers like cotton.
So, how long has it been since you last had your AC system professionally serviced? If it’s been more than a year, it’s time to call Eagle Service Company for our multi-point AC tune-up and inspection service. Your system will run better and help cut back on your utility costs. Equally important, it’s less likely to break down, and that saves you even more money.