Clogged drain problems have a way of sneaking up on you.
If they were human, you could almost say have a knack for giving you a false sense of security, making you thing “anything goes.” But after tossing anything and everything down a drain or toilet long enough, wham, the drain comes back, literally, with a vengeance, serving as vivid reminder that only certain things are meant to be flushed or rinsed down them.
Of course, not everyone in your home learns their lessons at the same time, so no matter how careful you might be, that doesn’t mean that everyone else is following the same play book.
And while you can’t control what everyone else does in the moment, guests included, you can expect and act as if mistakes are going to happen. Once you accept that inevitability, here are some drain self-care tips that might just prevent you from having to call a professional drain cleaning service for assistance:
- Never use a toilet as an ashtray or garbage bin – there are only certain things meant to be flushed, and you already know what they are
- Get drain screens for your bathroom sink and tub drains – that way, hair, soap scum, and other icky substances have less of a chance of causing a significant blockage
- Be careful what you place in your garbage disposal – it’s not a big fan of fibrous foods, for example, and can easily jam up drying to grind them up
- FOG is no good for your kitchen sink drain, with FOG standing for “fats, oils and grease” – if you do pour any down your drain, thoroughly rinse the sink or garbage disposal with cold water for a full sixty seconds afterward to prevent them from sticking to the inside of your pipes
- Once a month, pour a cup of baking soda into your sink drains, followed by a cup of white vinegar – let that concoction sit and foam for a half hour, and then thoroughly rinse your drains with hot water
Still, and even by practicing all the caution you can muster, clogged sewers and drains are pretty close to a fact of life. And if one, in fact, should sneak up on you that you simply can’t budge on your own, have no worries: just contact Eagle Service Company and we’ll take care of the problem for you. Quickly, reliable, and with your satisfaction guaranteed.