Summer months are often filled with outdoor family gatherings, trips to the beach or lake, and simply more time spent out of the house than in. But they are also filled with skyrocketing temperatures, thick humidity, and numerous associated hazards for your pet.
At the same time, no need to forgo all the fun while doing everything you can to keep Fido or Fluffy safe in the sun. By understanding the dangers and taking a few safety precautions, you can keep your furry friends cool and comfortable this summer.
- Heat – Cats and dogs respond differently to excessive heat than humans do. Make sure your pet has a cool shady place to rest, and provide him (or her!) with plenty of fresh water. Avoid walking your dog during the hottest part of the day, and be sure to apply a pet safe sunscreen to the less fur covered areas of the body.
- Falls – Cats, and even small dogs, love to relax on window sills and watch the world go by. Make sure unscreened windows are closed, and that window screens are secure to prevent your pet from falling.
- Water – There’s nothing more refreshing than a cooling swim on a hot summer day. Introduce your dog to water gradually, and don’t assume that all dogs can swim. Don’t leave your pet unattended near water, and if they do go for a splash, be sure to rinse off sand, salt, and pool chlorine thoroughly.
- Poisons – Keep your pet off lawns treated with harmful chemical fertilizers for at least 24 hours, and make sure they don’t take a lick of that tempting antifreeze that often ends up on city streets. Store insect repellants, citronella candles, and other chemicals out of your pets’ reach.
- Parties – It might be tempting to take your pooch to a pool party or cookout, but that’s one temptation that also might be worth resisting. If you do bring them, keep them away from lit grills, people food and beverages, party decorations, and garbage. And, of course, not all dogs are excellent swimmers. Is yours? If not, then you don’t want to leave your dog unattended by backyard pool.
How’s your pet enjoying life indoors right about now? If your answer is “not so much,” then it might be time to schedule an AC system cleaning and inspection, as performed by the home comfort professionals at Eagle Service Company. Annual maintenance is the key to cooler and more comfortable conditions all summer long. And that goes for you and your pets. Contact us today to schedule service, and allow us to help you enjoy your summer even more.