You clip coupons, pay your bills on time to avoid late fees, and always shop around for the best deal – all in an effort to spend less and save more. But did you know that you could be letting some serious savings pass you by right in your very own home? Take a look around your home and you’re bound to see all kinds of ways to save money. And to help you get started, here are just 7 of them.
- Start with an energy audit. Whether it’s from your utility service provider or an independent provider, a home energy audit can identify ways that you could make your home more energy efficient. And even if you make a just few of the recommended changes, you’ll start saving money instantly.
- Fill the gaps. Carefully inspect all windows, doors, walls, and ductwork for cracks, holes, and gaps that could be allowing heat to escape and seal or caulk them accordingly. Doing just this could reduce your home heating and cooling costs by up to 10%.
- Get with the program. You may already turn down the thermostat before leaving the house. But having a programmable thermostat means you’ll never have to walk back in to a cold home again. Instead, you can make sure conditions are nice and cozy upon your return without wasting energy the whole time you’re away. Get yourself a programmable thermostat with remote control, Wi-Fi access, and you’ll have even greater control over your heating and cooling costs.
- Double check your bills. Most of your utility bills are often based on estimated usage, but don’t assume that they’re always correct. Double check the bills for accuracy each month.
- Shop around for homeowner’s insurance. Before renewing your existing policy, check out competitors’ rates to see if you could lower your annual premium without sacrificing coverage.
- Grow your own herbs. There’s nothing like the scent and flavor of fresh herbs, but if you buy them at the supermarket, you know how expensive they can be. Plant your own windowsill herb garden and enjoy those fresh flavors whenever you want.
- Save money in the bathroom. Saving water is not just good for your wallet, but for the environment as well. Install aerators on all faucets and showerheads, fix leaky faucets and other plumbing fixtures right away, and take more showers instead of more baths.
At Eagle Service Company, we have both the ability and desire to help you run a more economically solid household, and all you have to do is call or click to request service. Remember: we are all the resource you’ll ever need for home plumbing, heating, cooling, and improved indoor air quality. Just let us know how we can help, and consider it done.