Spring means more time spent outdoors enjoying all the season has to offer. But if you have a furry companion, it’s important to remember that some outdoor activities can be dangerous for them. So before you take Baxter to that backyard barbecue or Lacy to the lake, read on to learn how to keep your pet happy and safe during these warm weather months.
- Keep your pet cool by providing them a shady place to rest when it’s hot outdoors. And remember that animals can get dehydrated easily, so provide them with plenty of cool, clean water.
- Did you know that dogs and cats can get sun burn, too? In fact, skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in dogs, and second most common in cats. Apply a pet safe sunscreen every 4 hours to the least hair-covered areas on your pet, like the belly and ears.
- While it’s recommended to trim your pet’s coat, resist the urge to shave them. Their fur acts as a natural barrier against the sun, and can actually help keep them cool. Brush your cat’s fur more frequently to prevent over-heating.
- Not all dogs are excellent swimmers, so do not leave them near water unattended. Remember to rinse them off after a swim to remove pool chlorine or salt from their coats. And if you take your dog out on a boat, don’t forget a floatation device.
- Avoid walking your dog during the hottest time of day, usually between the hours of 1p and 4p. Not only can the hot asphalt burn the delicate pads on their paws, dogs can become dehydrated very quickly. So save that stroll for the early morning or evening hours.
- If you’re traveling without your pet, make sure your pet sitter understands the warning signs and dangers of heat stroke and dehydration. And be sure to leave your pet’s veterinarian’s info for emergencies.
Another way to protect your pets – and your family, for that matter – from the summer heat is to make sure your home AC system is in top working condition. Here at Eagle Service Company, our annual preventative maintenance service is a specialty of the house, and the perfect remedy to help you avoid unwanted system breakdowns and repair bills. If it’s been a year or more since your AC system was last service, contact Eagle today!